Running Touchstone-Pro as ‘Standard User’
The Touchstone-Pro software application is designed to be run with ‘Administrator’ privileges because it needs to write debug and data files to disk while executing. This requirement may prevent the application from running when launched from an account with only ‘Standard user’ privileges. There is, however, a workaround — complements of Gary Border (Adjunct Associate Professor, Bowling Green State University). His instructions are outlined below:
Please note — the following steps are performed while logged-in to an account with ‘Administrator’ privileges. After the security changes (outlined below) have been made then you can login to a ‘Standard user’ account.
1. Using File Explorer, navigate to the ‘NutsAboutNets’ installation folder (usually located under C:\Program Files (x86)\NutsAboutNets).
2. Select the ‘TouchstonePro’ folder.
3. Right-click on the ‘TouchstonePro’ folder to display a pop-up menu. Select ‘Properties’ at the bottom of the menu.
4. Select the ‘Security’ tab.
5. Select the ‘Users’ Group.
6. Press the ‘Edit’ button to modify permissions for the ‘Users’ Group.
7. Check the ‘Full control’ checkbox.
8. Press ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’