NetSurveyor-Pro is a new type of diagnostic tool that puts a different spin on Wi-Fi troubleshooting — emphasizing performance metrics over measurements of RF signal strengths. It is used to test the performance and reliability of a Wi-Fi network and help identify and troubleshoot problems. Furthermore, NetSurveyor-Pro also allows you to concurrently test multiple (up to five) Wi-Fi connections. NetSurveyor-Pro is a software-only product that uses your 802.11 adapter(s) and access point(s) — no additional proprietary hardware is required. Novices through experts will find it most useful when installing, testing, and troubleshooting 802.11 adapters and wireless networks. Distributed as a free tool, NetSurveyor-Pro provides a more accurate picture of a Wi-Fi network from a performance perspective than more costly solutions.
Applications for NetSurveyor-Pro include the following:
- Monitor the reliability of a Wi-Fi network using performance / bandwidth metrics
- Optimal AP placement
- Concurrently test and compare the performance and reliability of up to five (5) different 802.11 connections — employing a variety of combinations of adapters and access points — that is, adapters can be associated with either the same or different access points
- Test whether the performance of a Wi-Fi network is handicapped by RF or multipath interference or is overburdened with other 802.11 traffic
- As an aid in properly locating 802.11 wireless devices and orienting their antennas so as to optimize throughput, performance and reliability
- Determine which 802.11 channel results in the best performance
- Benchmark the performance of a Wi-Fi network when first installed and at some later point in time — comparing results helps determine whether something in the RF environment has changed that impacts the wireless network.